3 SUPPLEMENTS YOU SHOULD TAKE!
We all take supplements! They are great for getting in the nutrients we lack in our diet. There are a few supplements that I believe every woman should be taking… I have made a list of 5 Supplements You Should Take (regardless of age or goals!)
…But Before We Get To The List!
I wanna note that supplements have their place in our diet (and are totally necessary!) but they are still SUPPLEMENTS! They are meant to compliment a good diet, not replace one. Nothing is quite the same as getting nutrients from the real source!
As a holistic nutritionist, I’ve learnt to use whole foods to get the nutrients that I need and use supplements to compliment my diet. As I like to say, real food over supplements any day!
Check out my Overview of Dietary Supplements blog to gain a better understanding of why it is important to use caution when purchasing and consuming supplements!
3 Supplements You May Want to Take
- Omega 3 fatty acid: Simply put eat more fish, raw nuts, organic eggs and superfoods like chia! They are all a great source of omega 3s! Omega 3 helps our cardiovascular health, acts as an anti-inflammatory, and can even aid in weight loss! The benefits of omega 3s is ENDLESS! Supplement with krill oil and algae. Make sure to rotate your Omega 3 supplement! I personally like changing to a 3-6-9 every few weeks!
- Probiotics & Probiotic foods: Fermented foods like kimchi, sauerkraut, kombucha tea are a great and tasty way to get good bacteria in our tummy! Probiotics are essential to gut health and our digestive systems. I think both supplementation and food are both equally important!
- Chlorella or Sea Veggies: Both Chlorella and Sea veggies are a great source of many vitamins and minerals in a highly absorbable form. They can help heal and fix ailments (depending on the sea veggie of choice). Chlorella can assist with pulling metal toxicity, digestive health, boost immune system, increase energy levels and help with concentration! Both these supplements are an excellent choice over multivitamins!
And 2 Supplements I would Avoid At ALL Costs!
- Fat burners: Fat burners usually include ingredients (like ephedrine) that can increase your blood pressure and heart rate. As you can imagine this can be very dangerous! I feel the risk outweighs the benefits of taking fat burners. Recently, a few well known fat burners were found to contain BMPEA and Picamilon. These two substances mimic speed! YIKES! Again, better steer away!
- Supplements that include artificial sweeteners, colours etc: Supplements are meant for health, but when you add products that have ingredients that could hurt you, it just really does not make any sense. Artificial sweeteners are known carcinogens while artificial colours are linked to cancer and can cause allergic reactions. When shopping for supplements make sure to read the label and ask for ones that do not contain artificial sweeteners, added dyes and chemicals. Supplements should be derived from natural whole food sources and contain the least amount of additives.
The list above is one that is suitable for every woman including vegans, vegetarians, weight lifter and those who are inactive! Of course nothing replaces a good diet but some supplements can be a good addition. (ps. make sure to check my post on how to achieve good skin naturally!)
Have a question or comment?