HOLISTIC CANDIDA PROTOCOLS
Candida Infections! You may have come across it before… and yes, it’s a very real infection! One that can cause great havoc in our bodies making weight loss (and weight gain) difficult.
Here is all that you need to know about candida (and how to treat them holistically using healing foods!)
WHAT IS CANDIDA?
Candida is a fungus found naturally in our bodies. It helps us with digestion and nutrient absorption. Unfortunately, when it overgrows, it causes much havoc including yeast infections and leaky gut syndrome (yikes!)
A candida infection (better known as Candida Albicans or yeast infection) can affect your mouth, vagina, skin and intestinal tract. It is often caused by a pH imbalance which results in candida overgrowth.
Candida infections are often chronic (and very annoying!). Left untreated, a candida infection can cause insensitivity to dairy, eggs, gluten and other foods.
CAUSES OF CANDIDA INFECTIONS
Candida overgrowth can be triggered by a slew of things including diabetes, birth control pills (yes, I said birth control pills!), corticosteroids and of course a poor diet. Let’s examine a few of these causes:
- Diabetes: Diabetics are more prone to candida infections as their sugar levels (particularly in the mouth) is high. Candida feeds off sugar so naturally it overgrows where there is more sugar!
- Antibiotics: As great as antibiotics are at killing stubborn infections they also kill our good bacteria. This in turn causes digestive problem as our gut is heavily reliant on good bacteria (to break down food). Without the presence of good bacteria, candida overgrows (causing an infection).
- Corticosteroids: Studies have shown those who use corticosteroids to manage health conditions such as asthma are more likely to have candida infection (in the mouth).
- Birth Control Pills: Birth control pills in and of themselves do not cause yeast infections but women who have a poor diet and are on birth control pills are more likely to have candida overgrowth. Some women even report that birth control instigates their yeast infections!
- Poor diet: Those who eat a diet rich in processed foods, starches and sugar are far more likely to develop a yeast infection. This is because candida feeds on sugar! Which in turn leads to candida overgrowth.
Candida overgrowth symptoms include:
- Strong cravings for sugar and refined carbohydrates
- Digestive issues including bloating, gassiness and constipation
- Moodiness and irritability
- Chronic Fatigue
- Bad, foul order
- Frequent vaginal infections or urinary tract infections (UTIs)
- Brain fogginess, poor concentration and memory
- Hormonal imbalance
- Nail and hair fungal infections such as athlete’s foot or toe fungus
- Sinus infections
Holistic Protocols for Candida
As a holistic nutritionist, I am a BIG advocate of using diet and healing foods to address health conditions such as candida overgrowth.
HERE IS HOW YOU CAN TREAT CANDIDA INFECTIONS HOLISTICALLY!
- Do a cleanse! I highly recommend starting a candida cleanse to slow down and eliminate candida overgrowth.
- Clean up your diet: As I mentioned before, candida feeds on sugars to its crucial that you eliminate sugars, starches, refined grains and starches and of course junk food to battle a yeast infection. Replace these foods with organic, raw produce!
- Drink more water: Make sure to stay hydrated! Drink 2.5 to 3 litres of fresh water per day (not tap water!)
- Add a few supplements: L-glutamine, aloe, milk thistle and vitamin C can help rejuvenate your immune system and heal your gut!
- Add some GOOD bacteria: Grab some fermented foods such as kimchi or sauerkraut to your diet as they contain the good bacteria your gut needs! Steer away from dairy though as although it contains good bacteria, it also contains simple sugars (that candida loves to feed on)
- Exercise! Go for walk and pick up some weights! Exercising can help flush out toxins!
BEYOND HEALING: AVOIDING CANDIDA INFECTIONS
Once you have healed (and your symptoms have disappeared), put in a plan to avoid candida overgrowth.
- Eat holistically! Pick up a holistic meal plan and eat better! Try your best to avoid refined foods, sugars, alcohol and processed foods. Eat more whole foods that you stay healthy!
- Add Antifungal foods: Add antifungal foods such as garlic, coconut oil and turmeric to your diet!
- Plug in some pre and probiotics: Digestive health is crucial to avoiding candida overgrowth, eat more fermented foods and invest in some digestive enzymes! (also check my 5 Supplements EVERY Woman Should Have!)
- Exercise: Working out helps get rids of toxins and free radicals! It can also boost your metabolism and improve your digestion.