You’ve started at the gym, perhaps even hired a coach, or signed up for some classes. You’ve been diligent for the first 4, maybe 6 weeks but are finding it harder to keep on track.
We’ve all been there. It’s hard to keep focused, eat clean, train hard and push through the finish line. There are some tricks you can use to keep motivated and focused year round.
HERE ARE 10 SURE WAYS TO KEEP MOTIVATED AND ON TRACK YEAR ROUND!
- Write down your goals: If you are serious about your fitness goals, take a pen and paper and write ’em down! Studies have shown we are more likely to follow through and succeed at your goals when we write them down! So write down your goals and pin them somewhere visual!
- Ask Yourself WHY? You may have a number in your head… some hard set goals. But have you asked yourself WHY? Why do you want to lose 15lbs? Why do you wanna gain lean curves? Is it so you look better in the mirror? Is it because your doctor told you so? It’s one thing to have goals it’s another to identify why you are achieve your goals. You are more likely to follow through if you know why. It’s a good idea to also prioritize your health, rate your goals from 1 (not important) to 5 (super important)
- Set a deadline: Deadline simply WORK! Give yourself a deadline and stick to it! Grab a calendar and mark it down and keep track of it. It’s important that your fitness goals have a timeline attached to them.
- Join a challenge: Perhaps an online or an in person challenge (like my flat belly challenge!) Challenges are very motivating! You can connect with like minded people who are on the same journey. It’s a great and fun way to keep you focused on your goals.
- Keep a food journal: Food journal are a great way to track your diet and calorie intake. This is important for both those of you trying to lose weight and gain weight. With a food journal, you can keep an eye out and see if you are eating habits supports your goals. The act of writing psychologically does a lot… so make sure to keep track! You can also use an app like fitness pal.
- Get Social: Share your goals with friends and family members! Grab a friend and hit the gym together! We are social creatures and succeed in social settings. Online support groups (like my private members only TWL facebook group) also do a great job in keeping you accountable!
- Join a group fitness class: There is POWER in numbers! Studies have shown that those who workout with a friend or in a group are more likely to succeed. Why? Because you will keep each other accountable and motivated!
- Measure, measure, measure: Make your goals measurable and then measure it from time to time! You will be surprised to find out what wonders a measuring tape or scale will do!
- Make it fun: Schedule a photoshoot, a fun dinner or night out and work towards it! I personally find this the single best way to keep motivated and on track! We are motivated my shiny things so reward yourself with something fun! Make sure the reward is positive and reinforces your good habits (like buying a nice Swell bottle if you hit your goal)
- Create an ACTION plan: Write down all the mini steps you need to take to achieve your goals. Things like: hit the gym for one hour per day, meal prep on Sundays, clean out cabinets … do half hour cardio every other day. You are more likely to follow through with ACTIONS. Make a list of daily actions you need to do EVERY DAY to succeed. Then at the end of the day check them off as you complete them. Adjust this list as necessary! Add more steps or take away. We are creatures of habit so make sure you have a daily action plan for your goals and get it down!
I hope the above 10 tips helps!
The trick to fitness goals is to think long term. Plan to change your habits and build healthy new ones you can keep for life.