5 tips for building glutes!
Searching for an effective way to build your glutes? Then I have the plan for you! If you’ve been hitting the gym on the regular but STILL can’t grow your glutes, then hear me out!
I am a master trainer and registered holistic nutrition with over 15 years of experience. I am definitely KNOWN for my glutes! Wanna know how I got my glutes to grow? Well, here is a bit of background on how I got here and why my program works!
A BIT OF BACKGROUND…
When I first began training, it was a bit of a guessing game. I did what most trainers did… 10-15 reps, 3-4 sets of each exercise with long duration cardio, and reduced calorie diets and or low-carb diets like we were taught to do!
At the time, I didn’t fully understand the principals of shaping the woman’s body. Treating myself like a Guinea pig, I went from doing extremely heavy squats, leg press, dead lifts and other the other big lifts with the goal of a bigger butt and followed almost ‘bodybuilder’ perfect meal plans filled with chicken, asparagus, protein shakes, bars and other ‘leaning & toning foods’ with dreams of a feminine silhouette and a big booty.
This was not what I got at all! I ended up with HUGELY disproportionate thighs, and an even flatter bum from all the dieting and compound leg movements with no ‘real glute isolating exercises’ in addition to overdoing cardio.
On a mission to reduce the size of my legs, I stopped ALL lower body weight training to try to balance out my muscular pear shape and starting running 1-2 hours a day and became the ‘Cardio Queen’! My thighs got much smaller… in fact everything actually got much smaller, including my glutes! While I liked being slimmer, I still did not feel curvy the way that I wanted to be and it was very time consuming and I was worried about the long term effect from all this cardio without the resistance training.
Eventually after much trial and error, I realized that some exercises were perfect for building glutes and others not so much. Over time, I came up me up with the best of the best exercises (including resistance and cardiovascular exercise) to build a lean, fit, (but not bulky ) legs, a round booty, a small waist and fit upper body. Below you will find five effective that I’ve used personally to build my glutes!
5 EFFECTIVE TIPS FOR BUILDING GLUTES
- Activate, activate, activate: Before you go HAM on those legs make sure that your glutes are actually FIRING! You can do this by using ankle weights or booty bands to activate (see my demonstration in my Glute Activation Youtube video )
- Lift heavy: If you goals is to build glutes, then it’s essential that you try to go heavier as you build strength. Why? Because our body adapts (aka grows) to the workload demanded of it. So do not be afraid of lifting heavier.
- Lift Often: Frequency of training is just as important as the load. I personally recommend working legs two to three days a week to get results!
- Fuel your workouts and your body: Our body needs extra calories to put on weight… no way around it! Make sure you are eating adequate amounts of protein to actually put on weight. Check out my post here to make more sense of this!
- Use a variety of both isolated and compound movements: Look, your glutes are not gonna grow by you just hitting that abductor machine and throwing in some donkey kicks. You need to incorporate both isolate and compound movements to see results. I include a large variety of exercise that targets glutes in my program including step ups, hip thrusters, lying hamstring curls, and lunges!
If you are looking to build glutes and nice curves, then you gotta check out my glute building workout! It comes with 20 days of full workouts, instructional videos, meal plans, nutritional guidance and a success tracker to keep you on track!
Happy training, LL.